Greetings from the Band Office!!! We hope your semester is going well and that you can "hang in there" until May!
We need to share with you some information concerning upcoming band events as well as plans for the upcoming fall marching season. Please look over this information carefully! You will also be receiving this information in the mail.
1) For the 2005 Band - Read Me!!!!!!!!!!!!
All woodwind and brass returning "vets" who want to be a part of the 2005 WVU Band are reaccepted if you follow the information outlined below; percussionists, colorguard, and twirlers are NOT automatically reaccepted until after the audition procedure. Note: Those instrumentalists wishing to switch instruments for next season will need to audition - contact the Band Office for more information. To all: Failure to comply with the following may jeopardize your chances of marching next season!!
- On this letter's envelope address label, you will find either the word "YES", "NO", or "MAYBE". This is what you checked at the end of last fall regarding your returning status for the 2005 Band.
- All "YES" people will automatically be entered into the 2005 band database and will receive the summer Pride Press mailing. If your status has now changed and you can not join us next season, let us know by Fri., April 22.
- All "NO" people will not be entered in our database for next year, and this letter will be the last correspondence the band will have with you - sorry! If you are a "NO" and want to change to a "YES", you must tell us by Fri., April 22. Failure to meet this deadline will mean that you will be placed on a waiting list and may not automatically be reaccepted unless an opening in your instrument becomes available!
- All "MAYBE" people have until Fri., April 22 to tell us your decision. If you do not change to a "YES" by this date, you will automatically be placed into the "NO" category. See above for trying to change your status after the April 22 deadline.
2) Spring/Summer Dates:
* Sat., April 16 - Marching Band auditions for all new members
Colorguard auditions (all "vet" colorguard members received an email about this)
Annual "Gold and Blue" football game - see the included flyer
* Sat. - Sun., April 16 - 17 - Drumline Camp (all "vet" drumline members received an email about this)
* Fri., April 22 - Mr. Wilcox's final concert at the CAC with the Wind Symphony
* Sat., April 30 - Feature Twirler Auditions
* TBA - Percussion and Colorguard summer camps
* Fri., August 12 - Percussion and Colorguard report to Band Camp (beginning in the evening)
* Sat., August 13 - Leaders report to Band Camp
* Sun., August 14 - Everyone else reports to Band Camp
* Sat., August 20 - Band Camp concludes
3) "VET" Percussion and Colorguard Auditions - All veteran Percussion and Colorguard members should have received the email about reauditoning the weekend of April 16. It is important that you make plans to attend. Percussionists should contact Adam Osmianski with questions; colorguard members should contact Heath Mankey.
4) Changes in the Band Office - As many of you know, there might be changes in the Band Office resulting from Mr. Wilcox's upcoming retirement. Any announcements will be posted on the band web site.
5) Rank and Section Leaders - By the end of the semester, invitations will be going out for those being asked to serve as a Section Leader, Rank Leader, and/or Assistant Section Leader. It will be during the early summer months that we will send out invitations to Assistant Rank Leaders.
6) Band Camp and '05 Performance schedule - It is hopeful that before the end of the semester, we will have a preliminary performance schedule for the fall season. This may be difficult since the football schedule came out almost two months later
than usual. Once we get a schedule, it will be posted by the Band Office and on the web site. We will send this information, along with Band Camp information, in the summer Pride Press mailing.
7) CD's/DVD's - The 2004 CD/DVD will be in very soon!
That is about all for now. You will be receiving more information over the summer months regarding the 2005 Band and Band Camp. Hope to see you in August as a member of the 104th season of the "Pride"!
Take care, and "good luck" on the rest of the semester! To contact us for any reason, please call Jay Drury at 293-4841 (x3156) or e-mail him at Jay.Drury@mail.wvu.edu